Various local group home and case management services will have booths set up for you to visit and gather more information.
Presenter: Ann Alger District 4 Manager for the Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services (BDDS)
Date: March 5, 2018
Location: Gymnasium at Durgan, 1840 S. 18th St, Lafayette, IN 47905
Time: 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
RSVP: RSVP by February 28th to Kathy Wotherspoon via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 765-714-7687
It’s time for DCMP’s Read Captions Across America (RCAA) campaign, held in conjunction with the National Education Association’s (NEA) Read Across America event on March 2, the birthday of children’s author Dr. Seuss.
The purpose of RCAA is to raise awareness—particularly among children and their parents and teachers—that video can be just as effective at encouraging and fostering reading skills as books, as long as captions are always turned on!
Participants can order a free RCAA event kit, and members can order captioned media from DCMP to use in March and all year long.
RCAA is the first national reading event to put emphasis on the importance of captioned media as a reading tool for all children, not just those who are deaf or hard of hearing. This effort resulted in a huge success, as thousands of students have participated in this event since its inauguration.
The DCMP supports the efforts of the NEA’s Read Across America by:
- Providing on-demand educational captioned media to registered users (educators, families, and others who work with deaf or hard of hearing children).
- Acting as a captioning information center to provide answers to anyone’s questions concerning captioned media.
- Maintaining a database for locating educational captioned media available for purchase.
- Assisting media producers, school personnel, and others in learning to caption or in locating an expert to perform captioning.
- Supporting efforts by parents and educators to increase the availability of educational captioned media.
- Providing flyers, posters, bookmarks, and other free materials to remind everyone of the importance of reading captions.
Order your free RCAA kit, learn more about how captioning improves literacy, and find great ideas from teachers and parents on our RCAA website.
IN*SOURCE Parent Center Workshop
When: Wed, January 31, 6:30pm – 8:00pm
Where: Durgan Elementary School, 1840 S 18th St, Lafayette, IN 47905, USA (map)
Description: Learn about all that IN*SOURCE has to offer for families in Indiana.
Presenter: Jodi Lemmon, IN*SOURCE Regional Program Specialist
Register online by Jan 30th at IN*SOURCE under training calendar or call Jodi Lemmon at 812-645-0600 or email: email@example.com